Things really heat up in August in Pigeon Forge. The sunny summer season is in full swing and it's the perfect time to take a Smoky Mountain vacation. There are some truly special things to see this time of year that you won't want to miss! Check out our guide with everything you need to know about visiting Pigeon Forge in August!
Pigeon Forge Events in August
Stringtime in the Smokies Aug. 5
Hear the sounds of authentic bluegrass music at this special heritage event in the Old Mill Square. This fun festival is a great way to learn about Smoky Mountain heritage and enjoy a family friendly event!
Midnight 8K Road Race Aug. 5
Race down the Pigeon Forge Parkway and enjoy the bright lights of this popular destination on the night of Saturday, August 5th at 11:59 PM. This course is famous for producing some lighting fast race times and for drawing competitive runners with sizable cash prizes.
Great Smoky Mountain Jeep Invasion Aug. 25-26
Bring your Jeep to the Smoky Mountains for this car show where you'll find lots of parts, vendors, and Jeep enthusiasts at the LeConte Center in Pigeon Forge!
Veterans Homecoming Parade Aug. 19
Formerly known as the Welcome Home Vietnam Parade or the Welcome Home Veterans Parade, this annual salute to the veterans is a festive parade that honors the courage, bravery, and sacrifice of America's greatest heroes. The parade begins at 9 AM and goes from traffic light #8 to traffic light #5 on the Pigeon Forge Parkway.
Another fun event to check out is Dollywood's Great American Summer. From June 17 to August 6, Dollywood is open for extended hours, so you ride roller coasters until 10 PM at night. Along with some special summer shows, every evening at 9 PM, Dollywood puts on a terrific fireworks display that's synchronized to music!
Pigeon Forge August Specials
As a special thanks to active service members, retired military, firefighters, police, and other first-responders, Pigeon Forge celebrates the month of August in honor of the brave men and women who make great sacrifices for their nation and their communities. Celebrate Freedom in Pigeon Forge means great discounts, deals, and specials for America's heroes!
Here are some of the best deals offered by the generous businesses of Pigeon Forge for the month-long Celebrate Freedom season!
Be sure to bring a valid military ID or reliable proof of service to receive these terrific discounts from Aug. 1st to Aug. 31st.
- Reagan's House of Pancakes - 25% Off
- Alamo Steakhouse - 20% Off
- Mama's Farmhouse - 20% Off
- Bennett's Pit Bar-B-Que - 15% Off
- Huck Finn's Catfish - Free Order of Fried Pickles
- Emiliano's Mexican Grill - 30% Off
Shows and Attractions
- Dollywood - 40% Off one day admission.
- Elvis and Hollywood Legends Museum – Free Admission to museum
- Ole Smoky Moonshine - 15% Discount
- Titanic Museum - Complimentary admission for all past and present US military, first responders, law enforcement, and fire fighters. Regular admission for all others in party.
- TopJump Trampoline Park - 25% discount for military and family.
- Great Smoky Mountain Wheel - $7 Admission
- Country Tonite Theater Show – 15% off each adult ticket and kids get in free, not valid with special concerts.
- Hatfield & McCoy Dinner Show - $10 Off adult tickets.
- Smoky Mountain Opry - $10 Off adult tickets.
Deals on Lodging
For lodging, Cabins USA offers a special military discount rate year-round. To allow us to thank you for your service and sacrifice, please reserve your cabin by calling our office at (865) 429-4121. Just ask about our service member's discount and bringing a valid military ID for check-in. Please note, this offer isn't valid with any other discounts.
For other families, we also offer a 15% discount on our cabin rentals to help you get the most of your stay! With special events, fantastic weather, and a beautiful, affordable cabin in the mountains, you're bound to have an awesome vacation in Pigeon Forge this August!
Suggested August Activities
During August, you can expect lots of beautiful, warm weather in the Smokies, so it’s the perfect time to experience these stunning mountains. From hiking to whitewater rafting, there are tons of things to experience, but here are some favorite activities to enjoy during the month of August in Pigeon Forge.
- Rafting On The Little Pigeon River - Regularly scheduled dam releases during this season make it the perfect time to raft on this scenic river.
- Waterfall Hikes - The mountains can get hot in August, but luckily mother nature provides its own air conditioning: waterfalls! Some excellent waterfall hikes to enjoy in the Smokies are the Abrams Falls Trail, The Middle Prong Trail, The Ramsey Cascades Trail, and the Meigs Creek Trail.
- Dollywood Splash Country - Dollywood’s world-class water park is open for the entire month of August, so it’s the perfect way to cool off on a warm day in the Smokies.
- Enjoy Beautiful Views From Clingman’s Dome - While you can find lots of warm weather in the valley of Pigeon Forge, the air is much cooler high in the mountains. If you want to cool off and see an incredible panoramic view, go explore the Clingman’s Dome area of the Smokies.
The scenery is always impressive and there are some beautiful wildflowers that are in full bloom during this beautiful time of year.
With plenty of warm, sunny, and dry weather, late summer in the Smoky Mountains is a pleasant time of year to visit. Be sure to plan going swimming in the national park or spending a day at Dollywood Splash Country to stay cool during your vacation. Also, booking a cabin with a swimming pool is a popular option this time of year. Lastly, Pigeon Forge is in full swing in August, so you'll have no shortage of fun attractions and outdoor activities to enjoy like whitewater rafting, horseback-riding, and ATV tours.
Start planning your August vacation in Pigeon Forge today!
Written by Mark Frazier